Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server failure
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:04:57 +0100
Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48:41AM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> > Landing is an old Saxon server with dual pentium 400s, 1Gb ram and
> > three 6.3Gb scsi drives. It doesn't have any other drives
> > connected other than a CD writer on the secondary master.

<snipped>
> > md: running: <sdc1><sdb1><sda1>
> > md: raid1 set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
> > md: autorun DONE
>
>    That looks OK.
>    What do you get from:

> # mdadm --query /dev/sda1
> # mdadm --query /dev/sdb1
> # mdadm --query /dev/sdc1

>    How do you think the disks should be arranged? It looks like you
> have the three drives in a RAID-1 arrangement, giving you 6.3GiB of
> storage total, and the ability to lose up to two of them without
> losing any data. I'm guessing that the whole RAID volume contains a
> single filesystem, which is your root FS. Confirmation of this would
> be helpful. :)

My understanding of Raid1 from
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Software-RAID-HOWTO/

is that each disk is an exact mirror of the information on one disk
on the other disk(s). So that if I can get at any one disk I can copy
off the geneweb data in /var/lib/geneweb and save it to the zip drive
which I have already checked can be mounted.

the result from mdadm --query /dev/sda1 is

/dev/sda1: is not an md array
/dev/sda1: device 0 in 2 device undetected raid1 /dev/.tmp.md0. Use
mdadm --examine for more detail

/dev/sdb1: device 1
/dev/sdc1: device 2

using mdadm --examine /dev/sda1 gives masses of detail, basically it
says the array was set up on Sat Mat 4 2006
Raid Level : 1
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 3
Preferred minor : 0

Update Time : Wed Apr 16 2008
State : Clean
Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 3
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 1

then further on active sync /dev/sda1
                            active sync /dev/sdb1
                            spare          /dev/sdc1

using fsck -l each disk is reported as
Device Boot /dev/sd*1 start 1 End 1111 Id fd System Linux Raid
autodetect

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server