Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x577ef100.hantslug.org.uk.30100': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 17 13:04:57 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:48:41AM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> Landing is an old Saxon server with dual pentium 400s, 1Gb ram and
> three 6.3Gb scsi drives. It doesn't have any other drives
> connected other than a CD writer on the secondary master.
>
> Grub has
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.15 root=/dev/sda1 ro
> initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15
> save default
>
> I have played with these setting but cannot get it to boot past a
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknow block (8,1)
> Please append a correct "root= " boot option
> kernel panic - noy syncing: VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknown
> block (8.1)
>
> just before those messages appears the raid setup:
>
> md: Auto detecting RAID arrays
> md: Considering sdc1
> md: adding sdc1
> md: adding sdb1
> md: adding sda1
> md: created md0
> md: bind <sda1>
> md: bind <sdb1>
> md: bind <sdc1>
> md: running: <sdc1><sdb1><sda1>
> md: raid1 set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
> md: autorun DONE

That looks OK.

> I am fairly certain I set it up so the array included all 3 disks so
> am not sure what the penultimate line means
>
> I have now booted the system with "RescueCD" in the hope of being
> able to copy the geneweb data to the zip drive before reinstalling
> if that is the only way to go.
>
> I cannot do <mount /dev/md0 /mnt/mymount> "/dev/md0 does not exist"
> nor can I mount /dev/sd*1 "mount: unknown file system type 'mdraid' "

What do you get from:

# mdadm --query /dev/sda1
# mdadm --query /dev/sdb1
# mdadm --query /dev/sdc1

> suggestion as to what to do next will be gratefully received. I
> haven't done any googling yet in the hope I'll get a simpler answer
> from you guys

How do you think the disks should be arranged? It looks like you
have the three drives in a RAID-1 arrangement, giving you 6.3GiB of
storage total, and the ability to lose up to two of them without
losing any data. I'm guessing that the whole RAID volume contains a
single filesystem, which is your root FS. Confirmation of this would
be helpful. :)

Hugo.

       --- Someone's been throwing dead sheep down my Fun Well ---