[Hampshire] Server failure

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Server failure
Like vlad, though for different reasons, landing has failed. We have a
very brief power failure yesterday, long enough to cause all systems
to shutdown.

two systems came back up but landing failed to boot and I only
discovered this when I tried to access the geneweb data stored on it.

Landing is an old Saxon server with dual pentium 400s, 1Gb ram and
three 6.3Gb scsi drives. It doesn't have any other drives
connected other than a CD writer on the secondary master.

Grub has
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.6.15 root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.15
save default

I have played with these setting but cannot get it to boot past a

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknow block (8,1)
Please append a correct "root= " boot option
kernel panic - noy syncing: VFS: unable to mount rootfs on unknown
block (8.1)

just before those messages appears the raid setup:

md: Auto detecting RAID arrays
md: Considering sdc1
md: adding sdc1
md: adding sdb1
md: adding sda1
md: created md0
md: bind <sda1>
md: bind <sdb1>
md: bind <sdc1>
md: running: <sdc1><sdb1><sda1>
md: raid1 set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
md: autorun DONE

I am fairly certain I set it up so the array included all 3 disks so
am not sure what the penultimate line means

I have now booted the system with "RescueCD" in the hope of being
able to copy the geneweb data to the zip drive before reinstalling
if that is the only way to go.

I cannot do <mount /dev/md0 /mnt/mymount> "/dev/md0 does not exist"
nor can I mount /dev/sd*1 "mount: unknown file system type 'mdraid' "

suggestion as to what to do next will be gratefully received. I
haven't done any googling yet in the hope I'll get a simpler answer
from you guys

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server