Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:13:51 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> > Don't bother. In my experience TCR is not a great place to
> > purchase computing equipment:
>
> I was about to write more or less the same thing.
>
> In the pre-Internet age I bought a number of things from TCR,
> including several computers, a modem, hard disks and memory
> upgrades and mostly got what I consider to be fairly good deals
> compared to the prices advertised in computer magazines.

I guess I am rather out of date so far as TCR is concerned, it is
probably 40 or even 50 years since I was last there wishing I had
money to buy the stuff on display.

> I do have to admit that the price/spec deal shown on the Gadget
> show did look like a pretty good deal, but I got the impression
> that was a one off refurb machine rather than a whole shop full of
> such bargains...

I watch the Gadget Show only because there is nothing else on offer
around that time, the presenters irritate me and the whole thing is a
bit gimmicky.

With all such programs I do wonder if it isn't all a bit of a con,
after all if a guy turns up in your shop with a posse of cameramen,
sound recorders etc etc then if he wants a bargain he will get one.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server