Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP's answer to the eeepc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Graham Bleach wrote:

> On 16/04/2008, john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:
>> The 'Gadget Show' the other night suggested going to Tottenham Court
>> Road for cheap laptops, etc. That is fine if you live in London
>> but the cost of getting there from Bournemouth would add quite a lot
>> to their prices.
>
> Don't bother. In my experience TCR is not a great place to purchase
> computing equipment:

I was about to write more or less the same thing.

In the pre-Internet age I bought a number of things from TCR, including
several computers, a modem, hard disks and memory upgrades and mostly got
what I consider to be fairly good deals compared to the prices advertised
in computer magazines.

However in the last 5 years whenever I've looked for something there I've
pretty much always been able to find it cheaper online.

I do sometimes find it useful for browsing and getting a feel for a
product I'm thinking of buying or looking at what is available, but my
last couple of major PC purchases I've looked at in shops there and then
ordered online for less.

I do have to admit that the price/spec deal shown on the Gadget show did
look like a pretty good deal, but I got the impression that was a one off
refurb machine rather than a whole shop full of such bargains...

Andy