Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server failure

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56a38100.hantslug.org.uk.29835': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Apr 17 16:50:49 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 04:34:20PM +0100, John Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:17:58 +0100
> Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:
>
> > # mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
> >
> > (if there are any other errors, stop and tell me what they are).
>
> I did mdadm --detail /dev/md0
>
> and got told it had 2 raid devices and superblock is persistant

Then you should be able to fsck /dev/md0 and then mount it to get
hold of the data you want. After you've taken your backup, I would
suggest shutting down the machine cleanly and trying a normal boot
again. With luck, the array will come back up properly.

You could also try editing the grub boot parameters to use either
/dev/md0 or /dev/sdb1 instead of /dev/sda1 as the root filesystem. One
or other of those might work better.

Hugo.

    --- The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that ---
               heralds new discoveries,  is not "Eureka!",
                          but "That's funny..."