Re: [Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> That's down the the kernel in use. "dpkg -l |grep linux-image" might
> help here. If you are using the -486 package I think you
> want the -686 package (intel) or K7 (AMD) (assuming it's
> compatible), but you _might_ need the 2.6-686-bigmem variant
> (4-64GB).

debian:~$ dpkg -l |grep linux-image
linux-image-2.6.18-5-486          2.6.18.dfsg.1-13                Linux 2.6.18
image on x86

John Lewis wrote:
> It looks like the Debian stock kernels no longer have -K7 variants
> only the -686

It's 32 bit: CPU is AMD Athlon 1800+. Not the fastest thing on the
planet even when I assembled the machine (2002), but at the time
1GB was a lot of memory, and the SuSE system I started with had no
problem with it. I don't want the hassle of changing the system
just at the moment (the swap space isn't used very often), but I
will bear in mind the need for a highmem-enabled kernel for the
future. If I have to go back to SuSE, or something else other than
Debian, then so be it.

Thanks for the advice and comments, Hugo, Adrian, John.

Peter Alefounder.

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.