Re: [Hampshire] Web server on a stick

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Web server on a stick
David Anderson wrote:
> Unfortunately none of the website is in existence. This is the first
> get-together between the designer and the technical person.

Then you do NOT want to start with a bunch of web pages!

I often start with a sheaf of A4 and a set of pencils and an eraser.

We draft the site and page layout on individual sheets and
make notes on the reverse of each "page" sheet.

This is agreed and the designer then goes off to create the
web (HTML/CSS) pages and write up the notes.

The rest of the process is the standard static prototype
enlivened using an action+test plan workflow
with the client reviewing changes as they occur.

Some of the big WDH's use tools such as dreamwaver, visio or even
(*deity* help us word!) to store the initial web design notes
but I find paper and pencils (+ a whiteboard) much easier.

My employer did come up with a RDBMS schema to hold everything from
initial design notes and paper design 'scans' through to the final
code base and templates/elements.

Jacqui