Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem
On Saturday 19 April 2008 09:54:41 David Ramsden wrote:
> I'm sure the wireless devices in this laptop are indeed working
> correctly and I'm sure that it's the TCP/IP stack in Windows that has
> become corrupted.
>
> Before running the commands below, write down the settings on the
> wireless adapter (i.e. IP address, gateway etc.). Then open a command
> prompt and run:
>
>    netsh interface reset all
>    netsh interface ip reset
>    netsh winsock reset

> Reboot the laptop. You may need to enter in the wireless details again
> and if you're not running DHCP, set a static IP address.
>
> Supporting article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/en-us
>
> HTH,
> David.

Well I think I broke it, I tried Davids suggestions using netsh and they all
failed to run.

I downloaded the latest drivers from Lenovo (IBM) for the wireless card, that
made no difference, so I upgraded IBM Access drivers (used to configure
devices) but something went wrong here as I was unable to configure the
ethernet or wireless via IBM access or windows. So I decided to do a
reinstall the OS using the Access recovery program, this failed to run
properly. So I have had to download the latest version of the recovery
program plus several other programs that each time I try to run the recovery
program, it tells me it is not compatible with version xyz which is installed
and needs upgrading. It now seems as the reinstall is going ok as I have just
come to first reboot.

Ho hum the joy of XP

Tim