Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT]Windows Wireless problem
On Friday 18 April 2008 23:49:23 The Holy ettlz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > But regardless of what windows says I can not see anything on my network,
> > I can't ping anything and nothing can ping the laptop. If I run ipconfig
> > /all it returns an error (I have duplicated the network setting on the
> > other laptop)
> >
> > I have tried installing a USB wireless adaptor but I get the same problem
> > (the USB is from my daughters working laptop).
>
> What is the nature of the network (i.e., WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)?
> What precisely does ipconfig /all report?
> Does Windows acquire no IP address at all, an invalid IP like 0.0.0.0,
> or some 169.etc. ZeroConf address?
>
> James

The network use's 64bit wep, the laptop use's a static IP

Ipconfig /all error message

An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning

While the error message is quite explicit, I also well aware that Windows
often reports error messages that are completely unrelated to the problem.

I have checked Device Manager and there no indication there that there is any
problem with the wireless card

The laptop did at one time work on this wireless network (with the same
settings) but then one day just stopped.

(Answering Sean) I know what you mean about the 64 and 128 bit problem but I
have been reluctant to change those setting as the AP is working and the
Laptop did work with those settings.

I have tried the IBM wireless set up but I run into a problem with the IP
address, it insists that I use DHCP and I can't find anywhere where to change
the setting.

I am off to trawl the IBM web site to see what I can find there.

Tim

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!