Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?
john lewis wrote:
> Personally I be very wary of flashing the bios, the potential for
> killing the system altogether is too high

Well, yes and no in my experience.

Yes, if done incorrectly or if you're unlucky enough to have a power
outage mid-flash.

No, since I've done several without issue and have only killed one
board, which in my defence happened while adhering precisely to the
instructions and using the tool supplied on the motherboard and the
correct BIOS downloaded from Shuttle's site. The board was replaced
without question by the supplier and I suspect that the problem was
actually with the Winflash tool, since I flashed the replacement with
the same BIOS and a command line tool from the same CD and it worked
without issue.

The questions to ask are: does it fix a specific problem, or enable
functionality I need? If the answer is no to both of those then I
suspect that it is largely a waste of time and therefore an unnecessary
risk.

I don't think I have ever flashed to fix an issue - usually it comes
down to extending the CPU support since I tend to buy older/cheaper
boards and fit the latest and greatest CPU/memory they will accept.

Sean