Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] ? CPU problem?
Vic wrote:
>> The questions to ask are: does it fix a specific problem, or enable
>> functionality I need?
>>

> This might be a harder question to answer than you think :-)

True enough.

In this instance though am I right in thinking that the error has come
pretty much out of the blue on a previously working system? I might be
wrong - and knowing my awful memory I /am/ wrong!

> Last night, I was building a server. I could not get the installation[1]
> to work; it would go through the motions, then crash horribly.[2]
>
> It turned out that I needed to reflash the BIOS (minor version number
> change with a makor effect!), and *not* use the SATA drivers supplied by
> the vendor...
>
> Vic.
>

> [1] A Windows Server2003 installation. Fedora 7 worked flawlessly in about
> 20 minutes...
>
> [2] "STOP: 0x0000007b" is such a meaningful error message, don't you think?

Given that you fixed the problem I wonder if it delivered a subliminal
payload. I'm not getting the urge to flash something yet but I'll let
you know how that goes!

Sean