Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Development environment for web pages

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Development environment for web pages
** Andy Random <andy.random@???> [2008-04-24 18:57]:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, john lewis wrote:
> >I have just installed amaya for a looksee,
>
> I'm a big fan of Amaya, I've been using it for sometime and it is what I
> would have suggested had I seen the thread earlier.
>
> There are binary versions for several distros (and windows) available on
> the w3 site:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

** end quote [Andy Random]

By coincidence I've just updated my copy to do some testing on some
website updates I've been doing and I was majorly dissapointed -
although I'm not entirely sure whether that is in Amaya or my code ;)

I found that the page displays as I intended in:

IE6, Opera 9 and Firefox 2 on Linux
IE7, Safari, Firefox 2 and Opera 9 on Windows

All without any special IE hacks as well, but sadly Amaya doesn't even
come close! It stacks things vertically that all the other browsers line
up. I've not quite got my head around it yet, but my first thought was
that I should be using span instead of div, but sadly as soon as I do
the W3C validator tells me I'm no longer valid XHTML 1.0 transitional.
Strict is even worse, but I'm breaking myself in slowly ;)

I suspect that I'll probably have to start my design from scratch rather
than working towards a migration from the existing and pretty ancient
table based layout. Thankfully with my 6 year old work website, erm, no,
let's be accurate here, holding page, I can just build from the ground
up as if it never existed - well, it never has properly!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: