Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Development environment for web pages

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fw: Development environment for web pages
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:51:09 +0100
Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:

> ** Andy Random <andy.random@???> [2008-04-24 18:57]:
> > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, john lewis wrote:
> > >I have just installed amaya for a looksee,
> >
> > I'm a big fan of Amaya, I've been using it for sometime and it is
> > what I would have suggested had I seen the thread earlier.

<snipped>
> By coincidence I've just updated my copy to do some testing on some
> website updates I've been doing and I was majorly dissapointed -
> although I'm not entirely sure whether that is in Amaya or my
> code ;)

<snipped>
> I suspect that I'll probably have to start my design from scratch
> rather than working towards a migration from the existing and
> pretty ancient table based layout.

Basically that is much the conclusion I came to when I first set up
my webpages. I really didn't get on with a "development environment"
which ever one I tried so did it the _hard_ way with vim and a copy
of "Web Design in a Nutshell". When I decided CSS & XHTML was the
way to go I bought a copy of "Cascading Style Sheets by Example" and
converted my original code fairly easily and tweaked until it
validated. I haven't attempted to go for strict xhtml just
transitional.

So am not sure what the error amaya found really means. I really
should test it with the w3c validator again and if it does I won't
worry about amaya's quirks

My website consist of static pages only, apart from those generated by
geneweb (which validate as correct xhtml), so haven't ever needed to
use a scripting language like PHP.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server