Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:51:43 +0100
"Chris. Aubrey-Smith" <cas194@???> wrote:

> Surely this has long been the accepted wisdom in the world of
> computing ?
>
> It's a lesson I learned way back when I was still feeding
> dinosaurs. (IBM 7090, 1410, etc.)
>
> Lesson learn 1: Don't jump versions.

When I only had a copy of a sarge installer CD I used it to get the
base system installed and tried to convert to sid with a dist-upgrade
and got lots of problems but by doing an upgrade on the base
system first, then doing a dist-upgrade it was fairly painless.

I never do more than install the base system initially, ie install
what is on the CD, then get networking running with proper
nameservers followed by manually editing /etc/apt/sources.list and
doing update/upgrade.

I know this is going against the tide of having the installer do
everything but I haven't come across an installer yet that allows me
to install windowmaker rather than the usual kde/gnome defaults.

If I was less lazy I'd put a list of packages* on a usb stick and use
that to select my preferred packages.

*dpkg --get-selections > /etc/package.selections

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server