Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings

Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings
john lewis wrote:
<SNIP>
> 1. I really need to get email sorted out as my *@startx addresses no
> longer works, so I am not getting any queries concerning my website
> or from the geneweb mailing list which I subscribed to using an @startx
> email address.

<SNIP>

--> This is what i would do (mainly because i am more current with
postfix - and generally prefer it), I haven't left comments - hopefully
you can see what is going on, but i'll glady add some if needed.

NOTE, i haven't tested the below - but i can't see any obvious reason
why it would fail.

# apt-get remove --purge exim4
# apt-get install postfix
# echo "@startx.co.uk        startx" >> /etc/postfix/virtual
# postmap /etc/postfix/virtual
# postfix reload
# echo "startx:        john@???" >> /etc/aliases
# newaliases

<SNIP>
> I have one minor problem with auto-redirection of
> http://startx.co.uk to the URL I want used.
>
> I have tried using PHP & apache2 to do this but without sucess. I can
> get around this by making people click on the correct URL by putting
> a link to it in /var/www/index.html, which people see if they use
> the truncated address.

Ok, if you view the source of that page - you will see that the PHP is
appearing in the source, this means that the code isn't being
interpreted server side as you would expect from PHP. To fix this (in a
standard install), you need to rename index.html to index.php. However,
note that you cannot do a php header redirect - and output text to the
screen at the same time. So to do it this way, you need to JUST have
the php code you have included.

Another, possibly cleaner, solution is to get apache2 to do the redirect
itself.

Add "Redirect / http://startx.co.uk/Kingsclere" to /var/www/.htaccess or
the apache2 config / virtualhost file.

HTH,