Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild

Author: Glenn Korbey
To: johnrhunt, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04 is in the wild
On Sun, 2008-04-27 at 22:18 +1000, John Hunt wrote:

> I hate to say it, but 8.04 introduced some nasty new bugs for me!
>
> John.

I think a few people have here and there. Not always on upgrade installs
either, some clean installs are having problems. I had a few issues
myself, but not really Ubuntu issues, aside from the fact they included
software that isn't ready into the distro.
The only outstanding issue I have is with Metacity with compositing
enabled (not compiz, metacity's own compositing) sometimes after the
screensaver has been on a while, when you come back and unlock, the
desktop is a little...dark, see here:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/9940/allgonedarkxg0.png
when it happens I can just do: pkill metacity && metacity --replace to
fix it, but really I'd like to see it not happen at all, but I can't
find any reference of anyone else having this problem so I guess I'll
just have to live with it :P Not sure that qualifies as an Ubuntu bug
or a Metacity bug to be honest though. Other than that 8.04 has been
great (apart from the hassle getting xorg set up properly)

Glenn