Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] May and June meetings
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, john lewis wrote:
> > Now to look at your suggestions re postfix ;-)

> Don't do it!
>
> Exim is much better than postfix... (IMO)
>
> All I did was follow
>
>    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140

OK I decided to stay with exim since it is the _debian default_

I had real problems trying to get re-direction of any
"* at startx.co..uk" to my zen email address as zen kept rejecting
them as un-authenticated. This simple re-direction had worked from the
old LUG system so I don't know why I couldn't get it to work.

HOWEVER I have now installed courier-pop and changed the settings
for my "johnlewis at startx.co.uk" in clawsmail so that it
send/collect mail from startx rather than the zen mailserver
and IT WORKS.

It did download a load of spam emails which the local spamassassin
setting dealt with. The 15 spam emails had accumulated in the 15
minutes or so between restarting exim. doing some testing and
changing settings in clawsmail.

I should perhaps consider installing the 'heavy' version of exim and
deal with spam further up the line but that will involve training a
remote version of spamassassin (unless it is possible to copy my
existing ~/.spamassassin to the remote system)

So thanks to anyone who has offered suggestions aimed at solving my
teething problems with my VPS

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server