Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Directory permissions in Ubunut v Debian
On Thu, 1 May 2008 15:42:46 +0100
"James Courtier-Dutton" <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> What if multiple people are accessing the server and managing it?
> sudo puts a log entry in for each and every command run as sudo.
> So tracing who did what is a lot easier, and knowing what was done
> to cause a problem makes fixing the problem easier.

I have to admit I am not talking as a network admin with multiple
users so have no need to know who is accessing my systems and doing
what.

Both my server systems have access for me only, via ssh and the only
other person on my home network is my wife.

I do any admin on her w2k box (installing software, doing updates
etc) even though she has admin rights as the only user on that
system, simply because she doesn't feel confident enough to do it
herself.

In theory she could sit at my keyboard and destroy my system as I
have an open 'root shell' in konsole but provided I don't upset her
too much she isn't likely to do that (and probably wouldn't know how
anyway)

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server