[Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textinput …

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] looking for a good reference on using textinput in RSS feeds
There is information all over the 'net about RSS, so much that it's a
bit overwhelming and it can be hard to locate just what is needed.

What I'd like to do is to set up a feed which is password protected.

I've tried manually making a .xml file containing a <textinput> stanza
[1] but it does not appear to make any difference to the viewing of
the data ...
This was lifted directly from [2], though I have also found a few
other similar examples.

Even if I could get that to work I fear it would not do the required
job precisely, as I'd like to have a username input which acts as a
text input and a password field which is handled as a password field
and not echoed.

Googling with 'RSS feed' in the query really is not that helpful,
since everybody and their auntie seems to have an RSS feed on their
site nowadays...

So: does anybody know, is the 'textinput' feature widely supported (by
RSS readers, that is)? I've tried using the Firefox built-in 'live
bookmark' mechanism as well as an addon 'reader' from the FF addons
and neither of them seemed to do anything different when a textinput
is present. It's not something I have come across in general use, but
then I very rarely use RSS feeds anyway.
And if so, is there an idiot-proof howto somewhere?

[1] specifically, putting
      <textinput>
            <title>Go!</title>
            <description>Search:</description>
            <name>q</name>
            <link>http://www.google.com/search</link>
     </textinput>
after the <channel> details and before the <item> list.

[2] http://rssgenesis.sourceforge.net/docs/howto.html

thanks!

victor