Re: [Hampshire] Shuttleworth wants Linux Distro Release sync

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shuttleworth wants Linux Distro Release sync
On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:13:44 +0100
Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???> wrote:

> My take on this is that this idea is frankly silly.
> Why?
> The current staggered releases tht come from the major distros is
> a great example of a continuous improvement system.

<snipped>

> Personally, I think that the principle of continuous improvement is
> a great way to develop software. IMHO, this seems to fly in the
> face of that principle.
>
> What do you guys think?

The Debian approach of 'release when ready' may have upset people in
the past because of long delays but it is a pretty safe way of doing
things.

Having to synchronise releases with other distros could mean packages
being left out or released in a buggy condition.

And the main 'no no' as far as Debian is concerned is that they are
not releasing for just a single architecture but several and all
architectures get a release at the same time.

--
John Lewis
using Debian plus windowmaker for a clean desktop