Re: [Hampshire] OT: Quiz just for fun

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT: Quiz just for fun
> Hello,
>
> Well more like a job interview but it will be intersting to see how people
> on
> here answered the questions.
>
> 1) In Windows XP, which registry key(s) would you check to stop an
> application
> starting each time you logon?

Various ones in blah/blah/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
Don't forget to check the services too.

> 2)On an NTFS file system, what is the difference between moving a file
> between
> folders on the same partition, and between folders on different
> partitions, and
> why is it important to understand the difference?

Not 100% sure, not a windows admin, but if NTFS is like any other sensible
file system (it's microsoft so it might not be!) moving between folders
should just change the file entry without physically moving the data, but
a move between partitions will have to copy the data.

> 3)When setting up a private network of 5 PCs behind an Internet Router,
> what IP
> address ranges have been reserved for such use. Which would you pick, and
> why?

192.168.0.blah as that is what most routers come pre-set with, but I often
replace 0 with another number, and sometimes use the 10. address to,
doesn't really matter tbh :)

> 4)If you want to Remote Desktop to your PC which is behind an ADSL router,
> what
> would you need to configure on the ADSL router for this to be possible?

port forwarding, and yes it's possible, but not necessarily a good idea, I
wouldn't want any service of my windows machine accessible from the
internet given windows security history.

> 5)You decide to use a Linux Server as a NAT firewall protecting 3 PCs on a
> 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (PC1 = 192.168.1.10, PC2 = 192.168.1.11, PC3 =
> 192.168.1.12).

Can't be bothered to type the answer required.

> 6)What do you think of Vista?

Slow, too much resource requirement to do very little, a step backwards
from XP imo. Comparing linux on the same hardware is is scary how slow and
unfriendly vista is.

> 7)An XP PC is installed with 2 graphics cards from different manufacturers
> powering 2 displays. Following an upgrade to Vista, what problems will
> you
> encounter relating to the 2 graphics cards and what are your options if
> you
> want to keep the 2 displays?

No idea, but I'm sure it's documented on microsofts website ;) - RTFM

> 8)Money no object, what components would you select to build the ultimate
> gaming PC?

Given money no object just buy the most expensive of each component will
probably work! (with some selection to ensure they are compatible of
course!)

> 9)What percentage of your computer knowledge has been a) self-taught (e.g.
> reading books, browsing Internet, trial and error), b) taught (e.g. uni or
> course), c) work experience (e.g. picked up on-the-job, but not through
> formal
> training)?

Initially self taught, 1 years experience in the real world, then a 3 year
degree, 1 part time post graduate certificate course, various corporate
training courses and lots of hands on experience.

> 10)What are your top 5 favourite I.T. books?

Books? don't really use them - google has most of the answers.