Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT] Phone Spam

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: [OT] Phone Spam

On Sat, 31 May 2008, Sean Gibbins wrote:

> Actually, I try to be polite and have a laugh unless they really persist
> - poor sods are only earning a crust after all, and what a tedious way
> to have to do it, eh?

That's usually the attitude I take as well, lets face it it isn't most
peoples dream job... so I normally just say "no thanks" and hang up if
it's a sales call.

However these days I tend to use my caller ID fairly ruthlessly and often
simply don't answer the phone if it is a number I don't recognise and I'm
even vaguely busy at the time the phone rings. This works fairly well for
me as pretty much all the people who really need to get hold of me have my
mobile number, and none of the tele-sales people do. So if friends or
relatives don't reach me at home they call the mobile which I nearly
always answer.

I'm still holding on to my BT line at the moment, but I can really see a
day when I just won't need it and will ditch it completely.

Andy