Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web

Author: Mat Grove
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 20:54:27 +0000 (UTC)
Nick Chalk <nick@???> wrote:

> I'm after some advice on the best way of
> transcoding an HD video for distribution on the
> web.

> What's the best container and codecs to use for
> web distribution? We have plenty of disk space,
> but want to make the video available to as many
> people as possible.

Well 'best' is tricky to answer :) but I can give you a real world
example.

If you want to stream it on a website you could convert it into flv
(flash). We just did this for some mpeg4 video in preparation for a
project that starts in a couple of weeks. The commands to make the flv
files and some sample video are here:

http://acet.rdg.ac.uk/~mjeg/blog.php?p=1210610094

The flash player we used is free.

Mat