Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web
Mat Grove <mjeg@???> wrote:
> Nick Chalk <nick@???> wrote:
>> What's the best container and codecs to use for
>> web distribution? We have plenty of disk space,
>> but want to make the video available to as many
>> people as possible.
> Well 'best' is tricky to answer :)

I think our metric would be available to the
widest possible audience whilst producing
intelligible sound and video.

> If you want to stream it on a website you could
> convert it into flv (flash). We just did this
> for some mpeg4 video in preparation for a
> project that starts in a couple of weeks.

The downside of flash, I think, is that not
everyone has the player installed. I'd like to
avoid asking people to install things just to
watch a three minute film - I expect a good number
won't bother.

Streaming isn't essential - just a download would
do, as long as the file isn't too big.

Thanks for the advice,
Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.