Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice: transcoding HD video for the web
On Thursday 05 June 2008 22:45:13 Nick Chalk wrote:
> Mat Grove <mjeg@???> wrote:
> > Nick Chalk <nick@???> wrote:
> >> What's the best container and codecs to use for
> >> web distribution? We have plenty of disk space,
> >> but want to make the video available to as many
> >> people as possible.
> >
> > Well 'best' is tricky to answer :)
>
> I think our metric would be available to the
> widest possible audience whilst producing
> intelligible sound and video.
>
> > If you want to stream it on a website you could
> > convert it into flv (flash). We just did this
> > for some mpeg4 video in preparation for a
> > project that starts in a couple of weeks.
>
> The downside of flash, I think, is that not
> everyone has the player installed. I'd like to
> avoid asking people to install things just to
> watch a three minute film - I expect a good number
> won't bother.
>
> Streaming isn't essential - just a download would
> do, as long as the file isn't too big.
>
> Thanks for the advice,
> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
> Confidence is failing to understand the problem.

As much as I hate to say it .wmv has probably the most widely available seeing
as 80% PC user use windows, it is supported out of the box so to speak. Its
not the best but it has the widest useage. After that you could try .mov

Tim

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!