Re: [Hampshire] Help trouble shooting sudden 'go slow'

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help trouble shooting sudden 'go slow'
2008/6/9 Philip Stubbs <philip@???>:
> 2008/6/9 Damian Brasher <lug@???>:
>> Philip Stubbs wrote:
>>
>>> Can anybody tell from this meagre description what may have gone wrong?
>>
>> Sounds very much like some part of your hard-drive internal electronics
>> have degraded.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. However, I fear that the hard drive is not
> at fault. I have tried booting a live CD (Ubuntu 7.10), and it behaves
> in the same way. That is, very slow, as if my 1.7GHz processor is
> suddenly only 200MHz.

Ok, now I have put an older, smaller hard drive that originally came
with this computer back into it. It had been wiped clean, so I booted
again from the live CD, and it was back to its normal speed.

I am note sure why this is. It does not seem to make sense. Even the
fan is kicking in and out again like it should. While I had the bottom
off, I did remove and reseat the memory modules just in case they were
at fault.

It is too late for me to do any more today. Tomorrow a trip to
novatach :-) is in order. I will just bung a new hard drive in. It was
getting a bit low on space anyway. Lets hope that gets another year
out of this machine.

Regards,
--
Philip Stubbs