Re: [Hampshire] Hellow

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hellow

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57792100.hantslug.org.uk.28653': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jun 15 20:09:54 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 19:11 +0100, Tim wrote:
> Any particular reason you run BBCi Player under windows and not linux, mine
> runs quite happily under Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mepis7

The BBC in their infinite wisdom use the brand name "iPlayer" to mean at
least 3 different platforms. The flash based online player, the download
version for windows, and the online player for iPhones. Oh, and the
version for the Wii, which should soon be implemented as a "channel".

Anyway, the download version for windows doesn't work on Linux. So if
you want to download programmes you'd probably want to run it in
Windows, or use one of the many hacky scripts available online to
download programmes from the iPhone version.

http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/Beebhack

This is the one I have used successfully under Linux. Unfortunately the
Beeb don't make every programme available for the iPhone, so you can't
download everything. It also transpires that the Beeb are actively
working on blocking these kinds of scripts. Although I understand the
author of this script would see that as a challenge :)

http://www.strawp.net/files/download/iplayer_dl.zip

Cheers,
Al.