Re: [Hampshire] Hellow

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hellow
On Sunday 15 June 2008 20:09:54 Alan Pope wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 19:11 +0100, Tim wrote:
> > Any particular reason you run BBCi Player under windows and not linux,
> > mine runs quite happily under Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mepis7
>
> The BBC in their infinite wisdom use the brand name "iPlayer" to mean at
> least 3 different platforms. The flash based online player, the download
> version for windows, and the online player for iPhones. Oh, and the
> version for the Wii, which should soon be implemented as a "channel".
>
> Anyway, the download version for windows doesn't work on Linux. So if
> you want to download programmes you'd probably want to run it in
> Windows, or use one of the many hacky scripts available online to
> download programmes from the iPhone version.
>
> http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/Beebhack
>
> This is the one I have used successfully under Linux. Unfortunately the
> Beeb don't make every programme available for the iPhone, so you can't
> download everything. It also transpires that the Beeb are actively
> working on blocking these kinds of scripts. Although I understand the
> author of this script would see that as a challenge :)
>
> http://www.strawp.net/files/download/iplayer_dl.zip
>

> Cheers,
> Al.

Cheer Alan, must admit I have not looked at iPlayer in windows, watched a few
programs in Linux version with it, not found anything I would want to save
anyway. At the end of the day I guess we should not expect anything less from
this goverment and the BBC, seeing as they are both in bed with MS.

Tim