Re: [Hampshire] Hellow

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hellow
> Am I alone in finding these online catchup TV services a complete
> failuer?

I don't know about "complete failure", but they do seem to be of somewhat
marginal usefulness.

> recorded the third on the basis I could catch the second on iPlayer only
> to find that the second episode was only kept for 7 days

To be fair, that is mentioned...

> With all the DRM issues there is no practical way of
> actually viewing the programmes on a TV

What I do is to download the DRM-free stream by pretending to be an
iPhone. I then play it back through my laptop (sshfs *rocks*), which has a
TV-out connection. Voila! Instant sea-of-macroblocks :-(

I really don't get the fuss over DRM/copyright protection; anyone that
actually wants to keep this stuff is not going to be satisfied with the
super-low quality that is available. I see this more akin to the freebie
low-bitrate MP3 teasers you find, with the paid-for version supplying
better quality. So it is with iPlayer & friends - anyone who wants to keep
the stuff is going to buy the DVD.

Vic.