Re: [Hampshire] Web based pdf file creation

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Web based pdf file creation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5824a100.hantslug.org.uk.27824': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Jun 16 19:02:58 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 06:16:41PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> Brian Chivers wrote:
> > I'm looking for a nice simple way for users to create pdf's from any type
> > of file via nice simple
> > web interface.
>
> > machine which is doable but a web front end would make it so much easier
>
> I second that question, sorry can't give you an answer however the best
> desktop tool I use regularly is the OpenOffice.org 'Export directly as
> pdf' button.

The problem you'd have is interpreting the file types. Say someone
uploaded a Microsoft Visio file, how would the web interface understand
that?

Brian, Google printui.dll. You can add this to your login script(s)
(assuming it's for the college users on their Windows workstations) to
connect the printer in the form of \\server\printer_name. You can
install the PDFCreator in "network share" mode on to your print server.

For example in the login script:

rundll32 printui.dll PrintUIEntry /in /n \\server\printer_name

Would add the printer on a per-machine basis when a user logs in
(connecting a shared printer normally only applies to the users account,
i.e. it's profile specific).

Or you could write a VBS script that's called from the login script to
connect the printer, checking that it doesn't exist first. Once again a
quick Google on "vbs add printer" should bring up several examples.

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden