[Hampshire] Application resource usage tool

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Application resource usage tool
Evening,

A colleague of mine recently asked if I know of or use a Linux CLI tool
that will provide a complete picture of application resource usage. I use
all the normal tools that generally only provide information about one or
a few particular resources, like top, ps, time, free and netstat. With
these tools you still need to isolate a particular process or subprocess
then build and calculate a complete resource usage profile.

Does anyone know of one tool/application, before I start google'ing and
searching on Freshmeat, that can be run like time and display a summary,
continuously whilst running an application and post execution, of; CPU
usage, maximum disk usage and total throughput, maximum memory usage and
total throughput, network bandwidth and so on?

Scripting together some of the existing tools I mentioned in the first
paragraph of this post may be the answer if an application to accomplish
this does not already exist.

Damian

--
Damian L Brasher