Re: [Hampshire] PVRs: was Hellow

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PVRs: was Hellow
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 18:55 +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
>> I don't know how we'd survive without our HD/DVD recorder.
>

> However I recently acquired a second hand mythtv box. Basically a 500MHz
> Via CPU, 500MiB RAM, 200G IDE Disk and a dual-tuner PCI DVB-T (freeview)
> card.
>
> I fought for the best part of a day to get MythTV installed correctly on
> the box, and now feel quite happy with the install. The idea of having
> that box as the "backend" doing the recordings, and watching programmes
> on small form factor, lightweight "frontend" devices appeals to me.
>
> Tempted to get a DVB-S2 card to use freesat with the mythtv box, but
> then I'll probably end up watching far too much telly :)

One thing to watch with DVB-S2 is that the S2 bit isn't really supported
with the linux-dvb stack atm. It is all hacks / patches that need applying
and many applications cannot deal with S2 at all.

However current transmissions are only DVB-S, so no worries on that front
until they change it :). Also finding a good card in this country is an
issue.

It's also worth noting that there is no way that via system will play back
the HD content, which is the only content that would be on S2 initially
anyway ;) ( I have a 1.2gig via system that won't play HD either )