Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative
>> Well yes - Drobo *is* a Linux box...
>
> Popey told me it ran vxworks..

My brain is failing with age, so it's entirely possible I misremembered...

A colleague of mine knows the guys behind Drobo. I'm pretty sure he told
me it started from Debian. But I might have confused two different
conversations...

> I'm not a great believer in having things like that done
> automatically, as there is great difference between RAID levels in
> terms of redundancy and performance.

I agree - Drobo is fabulous for its market, but that market isn't me.

I also dislike sparse filesystems - but many SysAds love them...

> Also I wouldn't want a lot of storage connected over USB,
> preferring firewire or eSATA.

That's what I would have done - but this unit is apparently aimed at
photographers etc., and they like USB.

Vic.