Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux drobo alternative

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, John Hunt wrote:

> Thanks for the info guys, I'll delve deeper in to vxworks.

I wouldn't bother unless you have a commercial application in mind.

It's a commercial RTOS developed and sold by Wind River Systems mostly for
use in embedded systems. It's not a bad RTOS, though personally I still
prefer pSOS (a rival which Wind River bought and shelved) though I've not
had anything to do with either of them for a few years.

However the important point is that it's a commercial product. I've no
idea what pricing is like these days but last time I saw prices for a full
suite of VxWorks dev tools you could buy an Adaptec Snap Server for less
(or several drobo systems) so it isn't going to be a cost effective
solution to develop a home brew NAS.

Andy