RE: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order

Author: Bond, Peter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order
> If there's excise duty to be paid on an item _posted_ to the UK, the
> Post Office will deliver a card saying that duty is payable, and that
> you should go to the sorting office to collect. YOu pay the duty to
> the PO, which they pass on to Customs & Excise, but they charge a fee
> for their services. Last time I had to pay duty, the PO fee was about
> 80p, but that was more than 8 years ago.

Last time I paid Royal Mail the charge had increased somewhat - £12.50 IIRC.
Since this was on goods that had a purchase price of about £20, I wasn't greatly amused. But that is RM, rather than HMCE; I *think* there is a way to pre-pay VAT & duty to HMCE, but I'd need to check with a couple of guys who regularly import stuff on this sort of level. Also, if it isn't delivered by RM, some carriers have a delightful habit of billing for VAT, duty & handling some time after the fact.

> It's been some time since I bought stuff from overseas, but when I
> regularly bought CDs from the USA, it was rare indeed that
> the duty was
> claimed, because I was buying a handful of disks, all different, and
> duty payable wasn't worth collecting. This bulk buy that's being
> planned is more likely to attract the attention of Customs Officers,
> because there's going to N(1) items the same, and it's more likely to
> be seen as a business, rather than personal, import.

My understanding is that DVDs regularly get nobbled, but since I tend to buy training DVDs (stone setting, for example), they aren't. Although unless duty is > £7, it's not supposed to be collected...

At the end of this year, the threshold at which things become liable to duty is supposed to be increasing - from £18 to around £118 (actually 150 euros as it's down to the EU).

> If there's duty to pay on something you _carry_ through
> customs then no
> fee other than the duty is payable, IIRC.

Import duty where applicable (and the weird & wonderful lists on what falls into what category is somewhat imposing) + VAT (again, where applicable. Don't get me started on teacakes, cakes and biscuits <G>). But yes, it's more-or-less a POS transaction in that case.

Peter

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND
CONFIDENTIAL to TANDBERG Television, Part of the Ericsson Group.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments.

www.tandbergtv.com