Re: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order

Top Page
Author: Brad Rogers
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Openmoko Freerunner bulk order

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56743100.hantslug.org.uk.25874': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Jul 4 14:07:45 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 497BD1F48AB6137F
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 11:58:44 +0100
"Bond, Peter" <PBond@???> wrote:

Hello Peter,

> Last time I paid Royal Mail the charge had increased somewhat -
> £12.50 IIRC. Since this was on goods that had a purchase price of

Maybe it was £8.00 then, not the 80p I recall. OTOH, I wasn't
particularly miffed about the cost, in any case. Maybe because I'd had
a load of stuff delivered before that batch where duty hadn't been
demanded.

> this sort of level. Also, if it isn't delivered by RM, some carriers
> have a delightful habit of billing for VAT, duty & handling some time
> after the fact.

Not had dealings in that vein, thankfully. I do know that, even
nowadays, Channel Islands residents still have a hell of a time getting
the VAT knocked off purchase from mainland UK. Not that that's
relevant to this topic but thought I'd mention it. :-)

> My understanding is that DVDs regularly get nobbled, but since I tend

Never bought DVDs from overseas, it was pretty much all audio CDs. The
exceptions were books, which are zero rated for VAT, not too sure about
duty.

> At the end of this year, the threshold at which things become liable
> to duty is supposed to be increasing - from £18 to around £118
> (actually 150 euros as it's down to the EU).

It'll probably be the one time out govt. doesn't acquiesce to the EU
rulings, and keep the threshold at £18.00. B*st*rds. :-(

> Import duty where applicable (and the weird & wonderful lists on what
> falls into what category is somewhat imposing) + VAT (again, where

Strange all over the place; Ireland won't let you take live bait in
(maggots, etc.), St. Lucia asked me about fruit.....

--
 Regards  _

Two sides to every story
Public Image - Public Image Ltd