Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debi…

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debian etch?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c48100.hantslug.org.uk.22004': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jul 17 20:22:51 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 17 Jul 2008, David Ramsden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Debian 4 (etch) server and I need to use Samba version 3.0.30
> or greater. Etch has version 3.0.24.
>
> I see that Debian lenny has version 3.0.30 so I could bring in the .deb
> from lenny in to my etch installation and hope it doesn't break
> anything. Or, I could remove Samba and compile it from source (looking
> at the args it was compiled with in etch).

You can tell apt/aptitude that you want to install a package from lenny and it
can in theory if there are not too many dependencies do it for you. Do a
Google search for pinning.

You can have a look on backports to see if there is one ready compiled for
Etch.

You can compile yourself, essentially what a backport is.

You can simple download the deb manually and install with dpkg and home there
are no dependency problems.

Mixing isn't a good idea if it can be avoided, do you really need the newer
version?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
but that's no reason not to give it
    -- Agatha Christie