Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debi…

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bringing a newer version of Samba in to Debian etch?
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 19:05:43 +0100 (+0100), David Ramsden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Debian 4 (etch) server and I need to use Samba version 3.0.30
> or greater. Etch has version 3.0.24.
>
> I see that Debian lenny has version 3.0.30 so I could bring in the .deb
> from lenny in to my etch installation and hope it doesn't break
> anything. Or, I could remove Samba and compile it from source (looking
> at the args it was compiled with in etch).
>
> Just wondering what peoples preferences are? Any tips or hints?
> Upgrading the entire dist to lenny isn't an option either.

Since it's a C program, it's extremely unlikely that it will install
from lenny - glibc won't be new enough.

First step: check backports.org
(FAIL)
Second step: make a backport yourself
I normally pull the diff, tarball and dsc from packages.debian.org,
then "dpkg-source -x *dsc; cd samba-*; dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot"

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org