[Hampshire] Re: serial console remote control sorta thing

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: serial console remote control sorta thing
Hugo said:

> > One of these days, I'll manage to persuade
> > C programmers to
> > a) document their code
> > b) read the specs.
>
>    Err... there are programmers in any language that do this?
> Anywhere?

Yes. We've been using literate programming for the last ten
years. It has improved the quality of our code. Our manuals are
all produced this way.

"If it was hard to write, it should be hard to read"
Anything that makes code harder to maintain increases its cost.
Most software costs twice as much again after the initial
development. If you don't document your code, you're just
dumping on the maintenance programmers or trying to protect your
job.

"Read the source, Luke!"
If this is production code and I'm maintaining it, I want it to
be easy to read and understand. If this is example code, the
same applies.

If you can't be bothered to document your code, you don't care
about other people and shouldn't be in a job that involves other
people.

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691