Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse
Alan Bell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been working with Elonex and the Carphone Warehouse to bring out
> a new laptop called the webbook. A couple of thousand of the first units
> had Windows XP on (boo, hiss) but all the rest have Ubuntu Linux (yay) I
> worked with Alan Lord to put together the Ubuntu build and we
> commissioned a really great dialer client for 3G mobile broadband
> dongles. They are already selling the Ubuntu units in store and have
> just started selling them on the carphonewarehouse.com website.
> If you want to see one then please pop down to a Carphone Warehouse shop
> and take a look at a demo unit. Please be sure to tell the staff how
> exciting it is to see Ubuntu pre-installed - it is new to them and they
> need some encouragement!
>
> We have been writing about it here:
> http://webbookblog.com/?p=79
> http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/08/ubuntu-webbook-now-available-online-at-cpw/
>

> and the online sales are here
> http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/commerce/servlet/gben-server-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.INTERNET.TRADEWIRELESS.IMAGES1.MOBILEBROADBAND&NODE_ID=11924
>

> if anyone wants to have a more extended play with one than you can get
> in a store, especially if you have an interesting use (like in a
> boat/car/caravan) for a small cheap laptop, then get in touch.

Well done!

I had a play with one at my local store, it generally looks very good.
And I love it with Ubuntu!

I could not find a way to disable the touchpad tapping, which - for me
anyway - is too intrusive for words. Although touchpads with tapping
are something which do not work for me at all, so the first thing I do
is to disable the tapping.

On the asus900 there is a settings facility in the ordinary easy mode.
The display version of this Elonex Webbook did not seem to have any
settings facility, although I was using only the display mode sign on,
perhaps it was a restricted mode.
With a full sign on, is there the usual facilty to either stop
tapping, or to edit files such as xorg.conf I wonder?

Incidentally, I had a quick chat with the manager and offered him a
couple of my local leaflets
'Ubuntu, the trouble free alternative to windows' (as per the Computer
Fair handouts, Windows consumer level promotion of Ubuntu)
- mostly for interest for him and his staff who may be unfamiliar
with ubuntu etc.
I was fascinated and surprised to hear him reply that the leaflets
would probably be used only by himself because it would be a bit
beyond the 'girls' (other assistants)...... One of these was sitting
next to him at the time (and her jaw dropped with incredulity and
disbelief, although with some good humour. The Manager was quite
serious though. I exchanged amused glances with his female colleague
and suggested that in that case it would be most important to give
them to 'The Girls'. I am not confident that he will though.

Hopefully it will have kindled some action below decks though?
Way to go in telling people, and Managers, that Ubuntu is really easy!

He went on to comment that if people just wanted to do ordinary stuff
and internet things, then it was much better than Mr Gate's annoying
system (his words not mine).
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391