Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: The Elonex webbook at Carphone Warehouse
Alan Bell wrote:
> yes, absolutely, the E220 etc already fundamentally works on Linux,
> the dialer client organises the PPP connection and deals with the APN
> settings and DNS settings for the various networks, it also deals with
> the driver for the Option 225 dongle which works a bit more like a
> network card than a modem and it shows signal strength and the type of
> network you are connected to (GPRS/HSDPA/UMTS). The wader-gtk client
> does the same thing as the GUI on Xandros on the eeePC, but it knows
> about more networks and more dongles and deals with some stupidity
> from the networks like when they give you bogus DNS servers of
> 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14. Oh and I am pretty sure the Xandros thing
> isn't GPL licensed.
>
> Alan.
>
> Andy Random wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, John Cooper wrote:
>>
>>> Is this software available? I have a '3' usb dongle and would like
>>> to use it on Linux.
>>
>> My 3 USB 3G modem works out the box on my Eee.
>>
>> All I had to do was add a network connection for it using the GUI and
>> I was connected.
>>
>> I've not tried it on any other flavour of Linux, but clearly it is
>> possible on Linux and has been since last November...
>>
>> Andy

I didn't think to try on my EEE PC, so at least now I can use it
wherever I am. I just bought an HP 2133 pre-loaded with SuSE 10. So far
I am not impressed with SuSE's registration process or package
management. It will be dual booting Fedora or Ubuntu by the end of
today! I'll try the dongle on that too.

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk