[Hampshire] Is a given date DST?

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Is a given date DST?
Hi all

I'm looking for a way to write a function (ideally in Python) that takes
one parameter, a datetime, and returns a Boolean which is true if the
passed datetime is during "daylight saving time" and is false otherwise.

Background (in case there's a better way): I need to generate some Apache
logfiles from data stored in a MySQL database, and the output date needs
the time zone offset included (for the UK, either +0000 or +0100). All the
dates in question are only ever UK dates, so the offset is either 0 or 1
hour.

Grateful for any suggestions -
Keith