Re: [Hampshire] PC will not power down

Author: tony.lambert
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PC will not power down
Hello all,

> A well-soak tested PC had virgin broadband installed today, and will
> now restart instead of powering down. The Virgin people had neither
> heard of linux nor firefox, so their standard install process (going
> from this page in the browser http://act2.virginmedia.com/) rebooted
> the machine then fell over quite quickly. Having failed to install
> its software, the broadband connection worked OK anyway, and all was
> OK until trying to shut down. I get the usual progress bar then
> drives and screen power down, immediately being followed by power up

again.

This exact same thing is happening at the moment to one of my expee boxes.

> Tried so far - unplug PC and modem (ambit 256) and ethernet cable,
> reinstalled network manager, metwork manager gnome, power manager
> gnome, switched power management off, disabled power mgt in bios,
> amended /etc/modules and menu.lst per (http://ubuntuforums.
> org/showthread.php?t=623237&page=6).

I did recently enable the boot ROM on the nic, and fiddled with the power
management for setting up WOL.
Not sure if it is related though.

> Any ideas folks, the definite was that it worked fine until virgin
> install was done, tho' worrying that a self-boot can cause this much

chaos.

I'd also really like to know if any other folks have seen this, regardless
of OS.

Cheers - Tony Lambert

This email originates from Steria*.  It, and any attachments, may contain confidential information and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property rights. It is only for the use of the addressee(s). You may not copy, forward, disclose, save or otherwise use it in any way if you are not the addressee(s) or responsible for delivery.
If you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender and cancel it immediately.
Steria may monitor the content of emails within its network to ensure compliance with its policies and procedures.
Any email is susceptible to alteration and its integrity cannot be assured. Steria shall not be liable if the message is altered, modified, falsified, or edited.
*    Steria Limited, number 4077975;
Steria Services Limited,  number 2706218;
Steria Recruitment Limited, number 1437998.
Registered in England and Wales; registered office Three Cherry Trees Lane, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 7AH
www.steria.co.uk.

**** Think before you print - save energy and paper ****