Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect & Cups Print Server

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect & Cups Print Server

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 15:53 +0100, Clive Woodfine wrote:
> On 11/08/2008, Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler@???> wrote:
> > Hi Everyone.
> >
> > Ive got a firewall running clarkconnect. I used to run an Epson on the
> > box via parallel port and configured under cups. Id connect to this
> > printer via the address of http://192.168.0.1:168/printers/epson
> > Ive now upgraded to an HP deskjet 940c, and have tried connecting this
> > printer via USB. The CC box see's the printer and I can set up the
> > printer under Cups. Cups sees the printer connected to the usb.
> >
> > Thats the easy part.
> >
> > I now cant print to the usb hp printer from either Ubuntu 7.10 or
> > windows XP.
> >
> > Would I have to connect to a USB printer differently to a parallel
> > printer ? IE in the sense that the IP address would be different ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Phillip
>
> Phillip, I have a very similar setup with Clarkconnect and the same
> printer but I don't use Cc as a firewall. Normally Cups connects
> through the 631 port. Also the address must have the name the gave the
> printer on Cc. Have you changed it from epson? Can you print a test
> page from Cc printer setup?
>
> The address in my case is:
>
> DeviceURI ipp://192.168.2.200:631/printers/Cc_USB
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying. Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Clive Woodfine

Hi Clive.

I can print a test page from the CUPS interface so cups see's the
printer. Your URL starts ipp, whereas Ive been using http so mine would
be http://192.168.0.1:631/printers/epson.

I had changed printers as the epson is old and was connected via
parallel cable. The HP deskjet does both parallel & usb. After
disconnecting the epson & rebooting, CC goes through its unconfiguring
of the epson.

I then connected the HP via USB, set up via cups, rebooted and
configured after the "Checking for new hardware" screen. Then on my
laptop I installed the HP by directing it to the CC printer, via the
http address. Tried printing a test page and nothing happened. So I
tried uninstalling / reinstalling this time via parallel cable, and
again no test page printed from my laptop.

Its just really weird that the epson worked ok via http address, but the
HP doesnt. So as you gave your address as starting with ipp, then should
I try connecting through ipp rather than "Windows printer via samba" on
the http address, when I set the printer up on the LAN machines ?

Hope that makes sense.

Phillip