[Hampshire] Meetings and AGM

Author: john lewis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Meetings and AGM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 19:31:21 +0100
Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> Umm, the election procedures and rules already cover how the
> elections are run, including who is eligible to stand, how they can
> be nominated, who can vote and who can run the elections:
>
> http://hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LUGConstitution
>
> Of course, someone could propose an amendment but personally I don't
> think there's a need.

I agree with Tony.

We tried to cover most eventualities when the constitution was drawn
up without making it complicated and I certainly hope no one makes
any attempt to tinker with the wording/punctuation as happened every
year in a cycling club I once belonged to. People nearly came to
blows over stupid things like the matter of where a comma should be
placed.

We only needed a constitution to satisfy the bank we were a suitable
organisation to have a bank account, the LUG had run perfectly well
without one previously as a 'benevolent dictatorship' in the
capable hands of Hugo.

In drawing up the Constitution what us 'old timers' had in mind
was preventing an individual or group of individuals taking over the
LUG and running it for their personal ends as almost happened once in
the past.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop