[Hampshire] SSH Help

Author: Charlie de Courcy
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] SSH Help
Morning all.

I'd successfully set up ssh on my Ubuntu (8.04) box to allow remote
logins of three users using publickey as the only auth method.

This was working absolutely perfectly and ignoring the -not broke, dont
fix it- mantra I decided to try and patch openssh with sftplogging /
sftpfilecontol to get a general idea of popular files being transferred.

From: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=212476

I followed the instructions down to:
        sudo aptitude install patch patchutils fakeroot
        sudo aptitude remove openssh-server
        sudo dpkg --purge openssh-server
        sudo apt-get build-dep openssh-server
        sudo aptitude update
        sudo aptitude upgrade
        apt-get source openssh-server

I then realised there wasn't a patch available for my current openssh
version (v1.7). Cursing for not checking this before I installed ssh again

        sudo aptitude install ssh-server ssh

I then followed the instructions again here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-30709.html to re-sync the
public keys (laptop vs box) and alter the /etc/ssh/sshd_config to get it
back to it's previous state, and destroying known_hosts on my laptop.

Alas for some reason it isn't working, I'm sure I'm missing something
obvious.

When I ssh from my laptop:

$ ssh charlie@192.168.1.2
Permission denied (publickey).

Even though the local ~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub has definitely been cat >> to
box:/home/me/.ssh/authorized_keys (I've tried this method also to $ssh
localhost also)

I'm stuck and confused, and on loop. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charlie

I've backed up the post-purged /etc/ssh/ssh_conf but this no longer
exists in the current dir.

box:/etc/sshd_config

    sshd_config           ssh_host_dsa_key      ssh_host_rsa_key
    sshd_config~          ssh_host_dsa_key.pub  ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
    root@the-box:~# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    # Package generated configuration file
    # See the sshd(8) manpage for details

    # What ports, IPs and protocols we listen for
    Port 22
    # Use these options to restrict which interfaces/protocols sshd will
    bind to
    #ListenAddress ::
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    Protocol 2
    # HostKeys for protocol version 2
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    HostKey /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
    #Privilege Separation is turned on for security
    UsePrivilegeSeparation yes

    # Lifetime and size of ephemeral version 1 server key
    KeyRegenerationInterval 3600
    ServerKeyBits 768

    # Logging
    SyslogFacility AUTH
    LogLevel INFO

    # Authentication:
    LoginGraceTime 20
    PermitRootLogin no
    StrictModes yes

    RSAAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication yes
    #AuthorizedKeysFile    %h/.ssh/authorized_keys

    # Don't read the user's ~/.rhosts and ~/.shosts files
    IgnoreRhosts yes
    # For this to work you will also need host keys in /etc/ssh_known_hosts
    RhostsRSAAuthentication no
    # similar for protocol version 2
    HostbasedAuthentication no
    # Uncomment if you don't trust ~/.ssh/known_hosts for
    RhostsRSAAuthentication
    #IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes

    # To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
    PermitEmptyPasswords no

    # Change to yes to enable challenge-response passwords (beware
    issues with
    # some PAM modules and threads)
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

    # Change to no to disable tunnelled clear text passwords
    PasswordAuthentication no

    # Kerberos options
    #KerberosAuthentication no
    #KerberosGetAFSToken no
    #KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
    #KerberosTicketCleanup yes

    # GSSAPI options
    #GSSAPIAuthentication no
    #GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    PrintMotd no
    PrintLastLog yes
    TCPKeepAlive yes
    #UseLogin no

    #MaxStartups 10:30:60
    #Banner /etc/issue.net

    # Allow client to pass locale environment variables
    AcceptEnv LANG LC_*

    Subsystem sftp /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server

    UsePAM yes