Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install of Kubuntu
On Friday 29 August 2008 16:59:22 Gordon Scott wrote:
> So at least they're not _all_ being brainwashed.

My granddaughter was previously an ardent Linux fan and missionary. When,
aged 10, she spent half a term with us in order to go to the village school
to improve her slightly rusty English, she went round the playground trying
to convert them all to Linux ("And she didn't even know what Linux was,
Grandma!"). And I have just discovered that when she got home to Japan on
that occasion she asked her father for Linux on her own Mac - and got it!!

But she is now doing the ghastly enforced school IT curriculum, which is not
remotely about IT, but entirely about secretarial skills using the programs
of only one well-known company. So IT is now a dirty word. :-( She is bored
rigid in the lessons.

And this laptop (second hand, I hasten to add) was my birthday present to her
and I said that I would get it wireless enabled and able to input Japanese
from the keyboard (on an English system) by the time she started at the
senior school. I.e. by next week. And, thank goodness, I have!!

But she is more than happy that it runs Linux - the idea that it might be
possible to have anything else on it never crossed her mind - and had said
that she didn't mind which Distro I used. So I tried several and went for
the one that seemed the best compromise between her wants/needs and mine!

So, Al, Kubuntu and I have reached a slightly uneasy truce. ;-)

Lisi