Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install…

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install of Kubuntu
Or machine code and moving pins around. Assembler? These youngsters don't

> know they're born!

Actually, in my day it were called SPS, or 'Symbolic Programming System',
because Assembler hadn't been invented then.

To (try to be) be serious for a moment, does anyone remember the series
"Real Programmers", which was published in some magazine or other during the
'60s? I recall, for example, 'Real programmers don't annotate their code. If
it was difficult to write, then it should be difficult to read.'

I was particularly amused by: 'Real programmers don't re-compile: they just
patch the binaries!' This was clearly written by a later generation, because
'in my day' computer-time was so precious that this was how de-bugging had
to be done.

Ah! Nostalgia! (Well, it is Friday night!)

Chris.