Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install of Kubuntu
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:

> To (try to be) be serious for a moment, does anyone remember the series
> "Real Programmers", which was published in some magazine or other during the
> '60s? I recall, for example, 'Real programmers don't annotate their code. If
> it was difficult to write, then it should be difficult to read.'

There's a nice one in the Firewall Toolkit (fwtk.or IIRC) that says
something like "Commenting is an admission that the code is too complex
to be trusted. This is the only comment in this code".

Actually, the author lied because there were one or two other comments
too.

Yes 8" floppies were around the 70s. I did say the front panel switches
were only for emergencies :-)

Slide rules .. I have a couple of nice plastic ones. They're good for
sailing because they still work after being soaked in salt water.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.